Friday, September 12, 2008


I'm just about to finish this book and it's sooo good! I know I'm well behind the times and all, it's not a new book, but I'm only just discovering this author and I love her work. Her writing just speaks to me on such an intimate level. I feel like I know the characters inside and out; they feel so true to life. I devoured this story in about a week's time (which is really fast considering all the other stuff I have to read for school, which limits my leisure reading). It's quite a touching yet sad story about love, friendship, illness, life and death. It makes you really think about the big, important things in life.

I came across this passage and fell in love with it:

I always think incipient miracles are around us, waiting only to see if our faith is strong enough. If I am standing at a traffic light before I cross the street, I stare at the people on the other side, thinking, why can't we just concentrate, and change places? And I have a real belief that this kind of thing will eventually come to be, this convenient kind of transmigration. "Come over for dinner, why don't you?" we will say into the phone to our friends in California when we are in Wisconsin. And moments later they will appear, shiny with stardust, briefly shaken but mostly without memory of how it happened that they arrived. We won't have to understand it; it will just work, like a beating heart, like love. Really, no matter how frightened and discouraged I may become about the future, I look forward to it. In spite of everything I see all around me every day, in spite of all the times I cry when I read the newspaper, I have the shaky assurance that everything will turn out fine. I don't think I'm the only one. Why else would the phrase "Everything's all right" ease a deep and troubled place in so many of us? We just don't know, we never know so much, yet we have such faith. We hold our hands over our hurts and lean forward, full of yearning and forgiveness. It is how we keep on, this kind of hope.

***

Also... this gloomy/rainy afternoon is making me want to just curl up on the couch with more reading material. I have so little energy even though I'm forcing myself to do a little workout to get the blood flowing and burn a few calories after the pumpkin latte I had at Starbucks last night. Darla and I had a little get-together that involved much gossiping and such. It was fun!

I have to go to the dermatologist soon to see about my mole. I've had it since birth and there's never been a problem with it, but you can never be too sure after all. So maybe I'll end up having it removed. It doesn't bother me to have it, but if there's a chance it could become cancerous one day, I'd rather just get rid of it.

This evening we're going to eat dinner with a couple that Patrick just met, at their apartment. I'm a little apprehensive because I'm generally shy in new social situations, but I think it will do me some good to get out of my little bubble and meet new people. The lady is a Reiki Master, meaning she's an energy healer, which is pretty interesting. Anyways, I'm sure it will go well since she's apparently incredibly nice.

School wise, it's just a nightmare of group work that forces me to fight for my point every time we meet (which is three times a week). We have to design our own school and let's just say that we have very different philosophies, which makes it very hard to come to a consensus on anything. Thus, we go around in circles and are generally unproductive. So, so annoying. But I really like the professor for that class and he seems to be quite understanding (despite coming off quite harshly during lectures), so hopefully everything will turn out okay in the end.

I shoud really get read to go to the doctor's now, so cheers maties!

1 comment:

Claude said...

Thanks for letting me know about this book, I'm always on the lookout for something interesting to read. :D