Thursday, August 7, 2008

Well it's about time that I update my blog! I've been meaning to do it for the past few days but just never seemed to get around to it.

So, I've been cleaning up my room - I mean the really, really nasty part of my room that is "hidden" from the naked eye. Since I'm in the basement right beside the stairs, there is a crawl-space behind my dresser. It has been gathering dust and other such disgusting things for years now. My dad also shoved a bunch of stuff in there that had previously been damp and musty in our shed... and he never cleaned these items off before putting them in there... so it was super disgusting. Turns out that the old weight bench was growing mold on it, and part of the concrete floor has a hole in it. If you reach down, you can actually touch dirt. Super nastiness. Anyways, we cleaned all the crap out, vacuumed, then washed down the concrete with bleach and water, then aired out the space for a good day. I slept upstairs on a futon in the computer room for a good three nights. I also decided to throw out a spare mattress that I had under my bed, that I'd pull out for when Pat sleeps over. Well low and behold, there was mold developing on the underside of that as well. I was just so grossed out by the whole ordeal. I don't know why we didn't clean this stuff up earlier or realize that it could be effecting my health. So, so stupid. But the important part is that it's clean now. But I still have the powerful urge to just knock down the whole wall and extend my room a good meter in the space under the stairs. I could fit a desk and shelves in there quite nicely, but it would be a big job to add flooring and everything. But a girl can still dream, right?

In other news, something very strange happened on Monday. My dad's brother came to visit with my aunt and grandmother. The strange thing is that my father and his brother haven't spoken in over ten years - he didn't even call us after my dad had his stroke. They had a falling-out after some very nasty stuff happened regarding the will of a relative. Also, my uncle lives in Vancouver and visits extremely rarely. Yet, he showed up the other day totally out of the blue, I think mostly because my grandmother really wanted all of her children to be reunited. They only stayed for a very short while and it was rather awkward, but at least he made the effort to come, and maybe some sort of relationship can be rekindled afterwards. I hope so. My grandmother also mentioned that they had a bunch of old films and photos of the family, which I am dying to get my hands on. I really, really want to scan and copy those things. Anyways, here's what my dad's side of the family looks like. My uncle (second from the left) is actually younger than my dad. My dad didn't even recognize him when he came to the door; he has changed a lot in twelve years since he last saw him.

I went out for sushi with Prevost the other day. Okay, his real name is Eric, but we call him Prevost, or Prevz - it just stuck years ago. He is a long-time high school friend. Well, technically the only reason why he knows of my existence is because his friend Jer (Joel's brother) was obsessed with me for a little while in high school... haha!! Him and his weird friend Jason would walk by my locker several times and actually gathered the courage to write me little love notes, and even tell me in person that they loved me. Oh, the golden years... lol! Anyways, Prevost and I have been friends for a long time, and have been concert buddies for several years. We've been to six or more concerts together, and we are also going to see Oasis in less than a month's time. So he needed to give me the $ for his ticket, and it was time to catch up. Of course, we bumped into some acquaintances, and there was the awkwardness of being seen with "another guy" in public, because you never know what people are going to assume. Of course, Patrick is totally cool for the most part of me having guy friends and seeing them every once in a while. Anyways, Prevost and I had a good time together and got to share funny work stories! He was rather impressed by all the tales from the GPK library. I tell you, there are many weirdos around and it makes for very entertaining tales.

Pat and I saw this movie the other day:


It was just pure gold - that is if you're into Will Ferrell sense of humour. I actually laughed out loud throughout most of the movie. It was just so ridiculously funny. We tried to see it at Guzzo but they were having a power failure, so we went to Cineplex Odeon at the dix30. I didn't know they showed English movies there, but they do show a few. I was so overwhelmed by the amount of food they sell there! There's a Tim Hortons, Pizza Pizza, and all kinds of popcorn, ice cream and other junk. Apparently they even sell bottles of wine?! Since when has going to the movies become such a formal event? I'll stick to Coke, thanks.

I scrapped with Alex and Julie yesterday and good times were had. We were in a particularly giddy/silly type of mood as we gossiped and vented, and joked about all kinds of things that cannot be mentioned specifically here since you never know who may stumble upon this blog. I made 2 pages that I rather like, but I am so behind in posting stuff. I really should get to that!

I know there's a bunch of other stuff that I'm forgetting to talk about, but I don't feel like wasting more time on the Internet when I could be doing more productive things. I'll leave you with some photos from my mom's garden. The butterfly just happened to be on the flowers the whole time that my dad's family was visiting, maybe it was my grandfather coming to check up on things...



No comments: