Sunday, September 6, 2009

Yes, yes, I'm still alive! I think this is possibly the longest that I've gone without updating my blog, but there is due cause. I have been insanely busy over the past few weeks because I just got my first teaching contract in a kindergarten classroom! I don't know how long it will be for (fingers crossed) because I'm replacing somebody on maternity leave who could technically come back at any time given two weeks notice, but hopefully I'll be there until December. And, with all the H1N1 business going on, it looks like most teachers will be able to stop working the moment they find out they're pregnant, so there should be plenty of jobs to go around once I need a new contract in the winter. All in all, it's a good year to be starting to work.

So I have been setting up my class (decorating, cleaning, cutting, pasting, coloring, printing, laminating, etc, etc) and I had lots of help from my mom and Pat during the four ped days before the kids actually got to school. Some evenings we stayed there until 8pm. Luckily the secretary is the sweetest woman on the planet and was always there to lock up after us and one of my colleagues who was doing the same thing. It's been quite the experience, I have to say, but a good one. I never imagined that there would be SO MUCH to do, but there is, and once you start to tackle one thing after another, it does feel rather rewarding. It's oddly satisfying to cut laminated posters for your bulletin boards, haha.

I met most of my students and their parents this week, and I am quite lucky to be working with a nice group. I am very excited to be starting the year with my very own class. All summer I kept hoping and wishing for Kindergarten, and I guess the universe answered my call... now here I am singing songs and playing playdough and teaching the ABCs... Fun times!

In other news, Patrick is going to Sweden this week for business. He leaves on Wednesday, and he'll be gone for two weeks!! I think I'll be getting a lot of prep done during the time that he's away. Anyways, I have to help him get packed and ready today and tomorrow, and then I think it will feel more "real", because at the moment, it feels a bit distant and hypothetical, I'm not sure why.

Okay, well, time to go make some coffee and eat my cereal. I have some scrap-related photos to share but am too lazy right now to get them off my flash card and go through them all, so hopefully in the next little while I will get around to that. Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Barb said...

Oooooooooh! Ash, I am so very happy for you. Congratulations! I hope you have a GREAT experience with your own class. I'd love to get updates, if you find the time... even if you don't blog, you should keep a private journal with all the little things they say and do. You'll be happy you did. :) :)