Monday, November 15, 2010

Halfway through November...

And time keeps rolling by. It seems crazy that we're almost a month away from Christmas. The days go by sooo quickly as a teacher. It's one of the perks I guess! I'll take 'em where I can get 'em as they can feel really scarce some days. No, but in all honesty, things are looking up. My students are in a groove, they are picking up on things much better overall, aside from the few moments here and there when they become extremely distracted. I have started a student of the week award and that seems to be keeping them motivated to do well in general. Rather than highlight what they're not supposed to be doing, I just keep giving praise to the ones who are doing what they're supposed, and magically, in most cases, the other students follow soon after.

This weekend was busy. I worked at the library and there were crowds. Annoying crowds. But I did get some new books for my class and magazines for myself, so that's good. On Friday night, I went to Jack's for drinks with my teacher friends, which is always a good laugh (especially when Steven is there - that's so camp ;). Afterwards, I went for dinner at Carmine's, which was way better than I expected. Like way better, and for a decent price! I will definitely be going back there. It's more on the fancy side without being too overpriced. Our friends Ben and Stephanie know their restaurants so we were pleased to be introduced to this place.
On Saturday night, Ben came by the apartment to cook us tacos while we watched the game. The boys were quite pleased about the 7-2 win over a team they apparently hadn't beaten since 2004 or something of the sort. I'm glad that Pat was able to watch the game with some real fans for once, since I tend to zone in and out of periods. Watching with die-hards is so much more exciting for him.

Since I am sooo behind in updating my blog, I should also share what I did on the weekend before last. On the Friday, I had a ped-day, which my amazing principal told us we could spend as we liked in payment of all the hard work we put in at the beginning of the year (ie coming in on the weekend and staying super late every evening before the students arrived). I chose to spend it on a shopping spree to Burlington with my mom! We had some good finds (mostly Christmas-gift related for myself), ate at the Olive Garden, and then made it back through the border without having to pay duty yet again! They seem really lax lately, but I will take the good luck when it comes.

On the Saturday it was Alex's baby shower! Her little guy is due very, very soon so we had to celebrate and help her prepare for his arrival. I think he will be very pampered with all the generous gifts she received. Her family did a great job with all the planning - the decor, the treats and the games were great. Here's a little peak into that day. Can you tell what the theme was?!


Alright, well time to go eat supper. I hope you all have a great week. Cheers!

No comments: